Friday, July 10, 2009

Too Much Running and Not Enough Funding


Too Much Running (Who Knew?!)


I found out last week that I've been running too far. I'd mistakenly been following the wrong training schedule, but trusty coach Glen noticed my error and got me back on track just in time.

Just before learning that I was running too far, the scheduled run times started to increase at a surprisingly fast rate. I caught myself beginning to question my mental and physical stamina during the quickly-increasing longer runs. I was having a hard time keeping up with the program.

As I struggled, I began to realize how far I was setting out to run. I began to see a gap growing between LalaLand and MarathonHell. I saw myself, trotting blissfully, sincere but naive, through the green fields of my imaginary motivators. A chorus of harps and butterflies following in perfect rhythm with my feet. I was running perfectly fine, dumb and happy, when in the distance the invisible bystander sees the gorge of reality waiting. And as I approach reality, I'm unprepared and surprised. The distance, the pain, the exhaustion--all coming to my consciousness before I'm ready.

That's what a 90-minute run in Pleasanton, CA felt like a few weeks ago. If not for the angelic presence of fitness guru, running machine, and dancing queen Erin Thekkedom (shoutout number 2! ouw ouw!), I would have given up that day. But she kept me running during that first encounter with MarathonHell.

And then coach Glen rescued me. He scooped me up and told me that there's no such thing as MarathonHell, as long as you follow the correct training schedule. He put me back on track, pointed me toward the correct, shorter running times, and helped me understand that I could just forget about MarathonHell, because I'll never have to go there again.

I've since returned to LalaLand and am loving life there once again. The runs have been 80 minutes at the longest on Saturdays and 40 or 50 minutes during the week. My average per-mile pace has increased by almost a full minute and I am now looking forward to revisiting the 90-minute mark this weekend. I expect the perspective to be much more positive than my last premature attempt.


Not Enough Funding


So far, several of you have made my fundraising easy--you've come to me without my asking, offered to throw fundraising parties without my thinking, and given generously and graciously to an impactful cause. Thank you, thank you, thank you. But I've realized recently that I am going to have to work a little harder to meet my fundraising goal.

I imagine most people don't know that
as part of the marathon training process, I am raising money for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS). In exchange for the excellent training and support of Team in Training, I have committed to raising $2800. A small portion of this pays for my travel and race expenses, the rest helps fund cancer research and patient/family services, such as financial aid for medications, as well as other practical support like transportation to and from treatment. LLS is there to find a cure for cancer, and to help those living with it now to experience life with the best work-fun balance possible.

The only way that I will meet my $2800 goal is through the continued donations of friends, family, and coworkers. In 10 weeks of my passive fundraising approach, 18 wonderful friends, family, and coworkers have contributed a combined total of $1095. That's an average of $60 per person so far (with a difference of $240 between the largest and smallest amounts). Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I've got about 10 more weeks to raise another $1705. I'm not sure how to be polite about this, so I'll be direct:
Please visit my fundraising page and donate: http://pages.teamintraining.org/wa/portland09/dbolger. And if you've been putting your donation off, please go for it now.

Reasons to donate:
  • The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society is a good thing
  • Every donation is worth it, no matter the amount
  • I literally give a little squeal of glee--a cheer almost--every time someone donates
  • All donors to date have had miraculous and infinite fun since their donation experience
  • In return for your donation, I promise to give enthusiastic, detailed reports of my progress whenever you ask, including the triumphant and the terrible, regardless of the time or place. Consider me your personal marathon puppet. And upon donor request, I will even describe my nasty callous/blister toe thing
  • My social exchanges with you will only become increasingly more awkward over the next 10 weeks if you don't donate
If you have any questions about the marathon, Team in Training, or LLS, please let me know. I'd love to have a conversation with you and then try to spin it into a donation solicitation attempt. :)

Much love and respect to my homies,
Darci

3 comments:

  1. You are forgetting one of the best parts of donating.... TAX DEDUCTIONS. Its like a donation discount, or money sale... everything must go!

    I love you baby. keep up the good work!
    -Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Improved by 1 minute per mile, holy crap! Glad my wifey can provide some motivation. On the flip side, I think you might have given her a little bit of the marathon training bug:)...we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you Darci Michelle - You make your Dad proud! XO

    ReplyDelete