Monday, August 17, 2009

Scientifically Proven Badass Running Machine

I have missed blogging these last few weeks--almost entirely because I have felt an incurable need to brag about what a seriously awesome runner I am now. LalaLand and my new Reality have collided. Their superpowered byproduct is me. A commitment to almost-daily running and an overdose of endorphins will do that to you.

Traditionally, this is where I insert a redeeming bit of self-deprecating reality. But not in this post. This is Reality folks, and I am the best runner in it. Relatively speaking. On a good day. Without hills. *ahem.*


The Proof: My Current Scientifically Measured Running Stats*

3 months ago: Fun-Running-Me
  • Average pace: 10 to 10.5-minute miles
  • Max distance: 4 miles
  • Desire to run: 4 on a 10-point scale
  • Perceived level of effort: 8.75 on a 10-point scale
  • Average elevation gain: Probably not much
  • Attire: Amateur

Now: Run-Loving-Me

  • Average pace: 9 to 9.5-minute miles
  • Max distance: 14.5 miles (Sat 8/15)
  • Desire to run: 9 on a 10-point scale
  • Perceived level of effort: Dude. Like, maybe 1.5 on a 10-point scale. Woo!
  • Average elevation gain: Probably TONS!
  • Attire: ANTM-Worthy Professional

*Scientifically measured stats courtesy of my new hardcore Garmin wristwatch, provided by Mike "Skinny" Bolger's Foundation to Support Darci's Running.

Running from Redhook to Redmond

I am probably particularly excited during this post because Saturday's run, my longest run to date, was the most gratifying and successful of all. The Team started at Redhook Brewery in Woodinville, ran down the Burke-Gilman Trail to Marymoore Park in Redmond, through Marymoore, out the park entrance off of East Lake Sammamish Parkway, and back to Redhook again. As opposed to running in Seattle or Renton, running this stretch of the Eastside provided me with a relevant frame of reference for the distance traveled, facilitating my strong and rewarding sense of accomplishment.

My total distance on Saturday was 14.5 miles over 2 hours and 20 minutes, keeping an average pace of 9.5 minutes per mile (including 4 hydration breaks and 2 potty breaks). Not only did I produce these hardcore numbers that day, I then followed up my run with an overnight backpacking trip to Mirror Lake (thanks 100% to the motivation of hanging out w/the Greens and the Baranicks. Ouw ouw!).

Words cannot express how impressed with myself I am. But I could take a moment to be gracious enough to acknowledge that I owe my current status as a seriously crazy running woman to the coaching provided by Team in Training. The philosophy, training, and people are all top-notch. They've mastered the art of transforming non-runners like me into run-lovers.

The Real Reason for Running

The transformation into a certified hardcore running machine has been gratifying, but surprisingly not as gratifying as raising money for the Team's cause. As some of you know, the real reason for participating in a marathon with Team in Training is to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS).

LSS's mission: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families.

Working with TNT has given me the special opportunity to meet people living with and affected by blood cancers. I've been fortunate enough to hear their stories first-hand. I am honored to be raising money for an organization that gives so much support and hope to a population of people living with blood cancer--a population that is so much bigger than I had ever known.

Accomplishment in Contribution

Every time someone donates to LLS through my page, I feel as accomplished as if I'd just soared through another 10+ miles of gratifying terrain. But in reality, it's the donor--you--who should feel this soaring feeling of accomplishment. Thank you to all of you who have donated to LLS through my page. If you have not done so already, please take a moment to feel really good about your donation.

If you have not done so already (or would like to do so again!), please join in the effort to cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease, and myeloma and enjoy the strong and rewarding sense of accomplishment that contributing to such a relevant and productive organization brings. You may donate through
my fundraising page.

No comments:

Post a Comment